The Board of Governors has overall responsibility for managing Horizon’s affairs, maintaining its educational standards and administering its property portfolio. Its principal functions include working with the principals to establish strategic direction, review the overall curriculum strategy for all schools and ensure the efficient use of resources.
The Board is responsible for ensuring effective communication between parents and staff and for maintaining procedures for the recruitment, retention, management, development and support of all employees. Its responsibilities also include selecting and appraising the performance of the principals.
The Board of Governors is broadly constituted, includes seven members and is supported by a number of committees.
Priority Goals (2018-2021)
- We will provide a rigorous international education for our students and increase consistency at all grade levels.
- We will provide structured professional development opportunities for our staff based on the needs of educators, learners, and the school.
- We will maintain a safe, healthy and well-resourced school environment for our students and staff.
- We will develop and implement a nurturing relationship with the local and global community, working cooperatively to promote internationalism and global peace.
- New and current school board members will be equipped with the necessary skills and information to better monitor the performance of our school.
- We will move to a new school facility which will better serve the needs of our students.
Strategies and Progress Measures
1- We will provide a rigorous international education for our students and increase consistency at all grade levels.
- Implement IB PYP/MYP programmes to create a coherent curriculum
- Establish leadership support structures and requisite resources that underpin the effective development of the IB programmes.
- Compare the content of relevant existing documentation with the expectations set out in the IB Standards and Practices
- Develop an effective teaching and learning guide
- Create vertical and horizontal plans which clearly outline a concept-driven, inquiry-based and student-centered learning environment.
- Acquired candidacy confirmation for PYP and MYP
- Completed all professional development workshops outlined in the PD plan for Year 1
- Completed PYP Program of Inquiry
- Completed MYP and DP vertical planners
- Full cycle of MAP testing completed
- Addressed PD budget and created a Professional Development plan
- Enhanced library resources
- Established a department system with a standardized meeting structure
- Updated relevant school policies to abide by IB Standards and Practices
- Developed and utilized teacher observation and follow-up system to improve teaching and learning
- Hired a qualified PSPE teacher and school nurse to address student health issues
2- We will provide structured professional development opportunities for our staff based on the needs of educators, learners and the school.
- Create/adapt an effective teacher evaluation system to determine the needs of each member of staff
- Develop a structured professional development plan
- Completed Teacher Evaluation System
- Teacher Satisfaction Survey completed to indicate the effectiveness of professional development
- Utilized data from the teacher evaluation system to address professional development needs
- Utilized data from a variety of sources (eg. pedagogical research, MAP testing) to develop a clear Professional Development Plan
3- We will maintain a safe, healthy and well-resourced school environment for our students and staff.
- Address facility problems
- Improve school safety through the documented implementation of crisis management plans, safety drills, training in CPR and other safety techniques.
- Pinpoint and purchase necessary materials/items to support implementing IB Programmes
- Enrich the library resources
- All stakeholders completed survey feedback form regarding the school environment and results were satisfactory
- Welfare Committee meeting minutes focused on safety
- Drill Reports
- Increased number of events taking place in the library
- Increased number of resources compared to previous year
4- We will develop and implement a nurturing relationship with the local and global community, working cooperatively to promote internationalism and global peace.
- Prepare a structured global citizenship programme.
- Prepare a structured service learning programme.
- Increase the stakeholder involvement in the promotion of internationalism and use their expertise to enrich the curriculum.
- Increased number of activities taking place within local and global communities
- Secondary Student Survey shows opinions regarding Service Learning opportunities offered
- Unit planners show community involvement
5- New and current school board members will be equipped with the necessary skills and information to better monitor the performance of our school.
- Develop an induction handbook for the new members
- Establish a procedure for board members to self evaluate themselves and assess their skills to determine the appropriate committee assignments
- Create and implement a detailed evaluation process for the Principal.
- Provide training on school governance on a continuous basis in order to further enhance their capacities
- Board Self Evaluation results completed annually
- New member interview results showing satisfaction with induction process
- Principal Evaluation System is implemented and evaluated annually
- Board Member Survey showing satisfaction on PD trainings received
6- We will move to a new school facility which will better serve the needs of our students.
- Develop a moving plan for the furniture/resources from the current campus to the new one
- Develop procedures for the new school.
- Make necessary changes to the school policies and procedures handbooks considering the new campus environment and increased enrollment.
- Transform Library into Media Learning Center
- Plan to maintain and build upon the ‘culture’ of the school through translating of current and upcoming programs and events.
- List of required resources and furniture utilized in the transition from campuses.
- All new procedures implemented and documented in the Staff Handbook
- The Librarian and Division Leaders evaluated, researched, and ordered IB recommended materials to transition the library into a Media Literacy Center.
- All events were evaluated and updated to utilize the assets of the new campus, including the local community.