Happy Mother’s Day!May 13, 2018
Grades 5 and 6 SleepoverJune 6, 2018
Dear Horizon Community,
As you are well aware we are getting ready to move into our new home. In recent months we have been working on the new school fee framework which will be effective starting from the 2019-2020 academic year. Our decision to increase the fees is based on several factors and the school fees have been updated to the following:
- Maintenance: The new campus will be three times larger than the ELC and Main campus combined. It will have 30 classrooms, two science labs, two computer labs, an Art room, a Music room, a Media center-Library, a Lunchroom, a Community Space and a regular sized Gymnasium. The top floor is designed as a playground which is five times larger than the main campus playground. There is a separate playground for the ELC (which is the same size as the main campus playground). You can follow the current progress of the facility here. In addition to the maintenance, the school started paying 7.7 million yen monthly rent to Yokohama City since December 2016 and will continue to pay the same amount as long as the school operates at this facility.
- Furniture and educational resources: Most of the school furniture and educational resources will be renewed to promote inquiry based education and to better serve the students’ needs. Touch screen displays will be placed in the classrooms instead of projectors. The Library and its resources will be renewed as well.
- IB Programmes: The School curriculum is being updated to support IB programmes. HJIS is a DP school and has become a PYP candidate in December 2017 and a MYP candidate as of April 2018. IB programmes challenge students to excel in their studies, and encourage both personal and academic achievement. Programmes aim to do more than other curricula by developing inquiring, knowledgeable and caring young people who are motivated to succeed. The IB strives to develop students who will build a better world through intercultural understanding and respect. The IB’s programmes are different from other curricula because they:
- encourage students of all ages to think critically and challenge assumptions
- develop independently of government and national systems, incorporating quality practice from research and our global community of schools
- encourage students of all ages to consider both local and global contexts
- develop multilingual students.
- Professional Development: Horizon supports it teachers to pursue professional development to ensure the best learning outcomes for its students. Therefore, the budget has been revised to allow more opportunities for staff to improve their overall teaching skills and in their specific area of expertise.
- Staff Structure: We have appointed division coordinators to better manage the school manners and are now hiring extra support staff (guiding counselor, relief teacher, and team teachers) to meet the needs of diverse learners.
We hope these changes will make Horizon a better place to nurture lifelong learners!
|Application Fee (one time)||¥ 20,000 |
|Enrollment Fee (one time)||¥ 300,000|
|Building Fund (one time)||¥ 300,000|
|Maintenance Fee (annual)||¥ 200,000|
|Secondary (Grades 6-12)||760,000||570,000||570,000||¥ 1,900,000|
|Primary (Grades 1-5)||700,000||525,000||525,000||¥ 1,750,000|
|ELC (Ages 3-4-5)||640,000||480,000||480,000||¥ 1,600,000|
Payment of Tuition
Tuition can be paid in three installments.
- Fall Term Payment Due Date: July 20
- Winter Term Payment Due Date: November 20
- Spring Term Payment Due Date: February 20
- A 20% discount is available for the 2nd child’s tuition fees only
- A 30% discount is available for the 3rd child’s tuition fees only
- Grades 11 and 12 who opt for the IB Diploma Programme are required to pay ¥ 150,000 for each year of their education.
- Starting from 2019-2020 school year, sibling discounts will be applied to all divisions including ELC.